Monday, December 19, 2011

Everything's changed, nothing's changed

So after a protracted absence away from writing this blog I thought 2012 should be the year to reinvigorate it and so have dipped back into it today.  And then it struck me.  This blog is called "A Look Inside the Cloud" ... a title I gave it back in 2008 in homage to the "intro to telecoms" mini-lecture I give newbies when they start on the team here and which always begins with the drawing of a cloud on a whiteboard. 

But now, in the embers of 2011, some three years since I first started this blog, the title could be taken to mean something very different.

So let's be clear, this is not a blog about Cloud Computing, or indeed any other virtualised cloud-based marketing slogan.

It's a blog about the 'cloud' itself ... that is to say the real infrastructure behind the virtual (some might say vapourware) thing that is 'the cloud'.  It's about the ecosystem that makes it all possible.  It's about the experience we derive from it.  And it's about how businesses can make money from it. 

Call me old fashioned, but I call all that stuff 'telecoms'. 


No comments: